Traveling with Celiac…No Problem…Jennifer
To me, traveling and vacations bring fun, adventure, relaxation and excitement to mind. However, when traveling with our friend celiac disease or food allergies all those wonderful feelings can switch to fear and anxiety. Not what you need on your vacation.
I am often asked what I do to relieve those feelings. I have one answer…always bring your own food….ALWAYS.
Of course not ever meal can be made in your room, but many can be. Here are some guidelines to make things easier for you.
- Have the hotel clean out the mini bar so you have room in the refrigerator. If they don’t have one in the room ask for one to be moved in. I have never heard no to that request.
- Bring staple foods with you. For me, I always make a loaf or two of my grain free Jennifer’s Way bread and keep it in a ziplock bag. The bread keeps for days and has saved me many times.
- Bring bars, snacks, nuts, raisins and seeds that you like.
- Squeezable packets of nut butters, coconut butters and jams – Yes you can get these at hotels. There may be hidden ingredients, especially when traveling to a different country. A brand that is safe in the US may not be safe somewhere else.
- Once you arrive at your destination, make a trip to the local market. Fresh vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, celery, carrots and fennel can be easily cleaned and made into a wonderful salad. Fruits can be an easy quick snack too.
- Ask the hotel to bring some cutlery, dishes, a sharp knife and mixing bowls.
I have made many meals in my room and always managed to keep myself safe. Remember no one can be more concerned with your health and having a fun trip than you!!
Put the rainbows back in your Holidays!!!
Live Life Pure