Chicken Pot Pie w/ Grain-Free Biscuitsjen
Feeling bloated? Unexplained weight gain? Tired, body aches, depressed? So many complain about these same symptoms, especially those with an autoimmune disease like me. There are times when for some reason, my lovely autoimmune disease named Celiac likes to kick my butt. Whether it be stress, eating something off, not getting enough rest or simply just what an autoimmune disease actually does, makes your body unnecessarily attacking itself – it’s off and it’s cycling out of control.
How do you stop this cycle from taking over your life??
I have a book I’ve been working on that is due out next year that talks about this exact issue. But in brief, I look to the AIP (Autoimmune Protocol) diet. Basically cutting out all gluten, grains, soy, dairy, sugar, seeds, nuts, nightshades and then some. Yes this sounds daunting and it can be…AT FIRST.
Jennifer’s Way to the rescue. I developed my biscuits a year ago when I was dealing with inflammation to an overworking autoimmune system and cancer. They are grain-free, AIP-friendly and oh so satisfying!
I decided I wanted something hearty this weekend and warming to my my soul. What better than a chicken pot pie! I had some of my wonderful biscuits and made this beautiful AIP-friendly dish that not only I enjoyed, but others who have no diet restrictions did as well.
A delicious grain-free and dairy-free chicken pot pie made from scratch with carrots, celery and a thick cream sauce – a comfort food classic.
This week when you order a grain free biscuit mix, get the second biscuit mix 10% off!!
PLACE YOUR ORDER HERE
Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
3 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 shallots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 can peas or 1 cup frozen peas
2 chicken breasts
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp arrowroot starch
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 head cauliflower (approximately 3 cups florets)
2 1/2 cups chicken bone broth or no preservatives or additives gluten free chicken stock
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
More to taste
– Preheat oven to 350F.
– Add the olive oil, garlic, onions and sautee until onions are translucent.
– Add celery and carrots to a large frying pan. Saute on medium heat for 5 minutes
– Add cut up chicken breasts, turmeric, salt, pepper and arrowroot starch. Cover and cook until no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
– Remove the cover and cook for 2-3 minutes to allow any excess juices to boil off.
– In a medium saucepan, add cauliflower, bone broth or chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and simmer for 15 minutes, or until cauliflower is very tender
– With a slotted spoon scoop out the cauliflower leaving liquid behind.
– Place in heavy duty blender like a Zitamix with 3 1/4 cup of the liquid and mix until creamy. Can add more liquid to make gravy thinner.
– Pour gravy over cooked vegetables and meat. Stir to combine well, then transfer to baking dish or individual ramekins.
– Meanwhile, prepare the Jennifer’s Way Biscuits and take out of oven 10 minutes earlier than package directions; then place them on top of the chicken mixture.
– Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.